Hey everyone, today’s post comes from Ryan Rivera, who has become the sites newest contributor, Enjoy the Read!
God wants us to be happy, and to find happiness in all of our endeavors. And yet it’s not uncommon to find anxiety standing in the way. Anxiety is an issue that can hold us back from living the life that God wants, which is why it is in your best interest to find a source of treatment that can help you live within the path He has set out for you.
But what is perhaps most interesting about anxiety treatments is that trust and faith in God can actually be all of the treatment you need. Yes, there are medicines and therapies available, and certainly talking to someone when you need a helpful ear can be advantageous, but the truth is that God’s love has also provided us with most of what we need to cope with our anxiety symptoms.
The Causes of Anxiety
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)
One need only look at the causes of anxiety to see how God plays an important role in treating it. Some of the most common causes of anxiety are:
- Problems Coping
- New Things/Change
- Lack of Personal Control
- Loss of Perceived Social Support
All of these are some of the most common causes of anxiety in men and women of all ages, and yet each of these can be improved with a greater connection to God.
- Fear – God’s love is there specifically for us not to be afraid. When one subjects themselves to God’s will, there is no reason for fear. As it says in Isaiah 41:10, “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.” God has a plan, and as long as you live within God’s laws and believe what He wants you to believe, fear is an emotion that will no longer hold any weight. Truly giving yourself to God in this way can be difficult, and is often a lifelong process for people. Nevertheless, the more you accept God’s will, the easier it becomes.
- Problems Coping – Even those that have devoted themselves to God experience stress, because stress is a natural body emotion. It’s how you deal with that stress that matters. Developing healthy coping strategies is important, and when you trust in God, He becomes your coping strategy. As it is written, “when anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. (Psalm 94:19). Prayer and the teachings of the Bible show you how to live within God’s love, and that itself has a powerful effect on the way stress affects your life.
- New Things/Change – Change can be physically and emotionally scary for people. But God helps with that as well. When you trust that everything is within God’s plan, then change is simply another step on the journey, and less likely to take over your emotions. As it says in Jeremiah 29:11-12, “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”
- Lack of Personal Control – “A man cannot discover anything about his future” (Ecclesiastes 7:14). One of the most profound causes of anxiety is when you do not feel in control of your life. This is often caused by abuse, or by problems arising around you that you were unable to stop. This is also cured by God. The truth is that we are never in control of our lives. He is. And if we feel that we’re suffering from a loss of control, we can help reduce this by changing our mindset about the importance of control in our lives.
- Loss of Perceived Social Support – Finally, friends and loved ones are always a source of comfort, and if you are not feeling supported by your friends and relatives, it’s possible to feel anxiety as well. But God loves you and will always love you. Even if your friends and family are not supplying you with the support you feel you need, God does, and God always will once you let Him in. “The Lord watches over all who love him” (Psalm 145:20).
Anxiety has a lot of different causes. But the more you accept and live within God’s love, the less of an effect these anxiety causes will have. Accept and love God, and you’ll find your anxiety slowly starts to go away.
About the Author: Ryan Rivera knew his anxiety was caused by a lack of acceptance and without a feeling of being supported. He writes about anxiety and better living at www.calmclinic.com.
One thought on “How to Use God’s Love to Treat Anxiety!”
I have helped tens of thousands of people decrease stress in thier lives and better their interpersonal relationships. The god of your understanding can help you with this, good post – keep them coming!